Monday, August 01, 2005

Chapter 4 A Muse of Some Sort

I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told;
I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles,
Such are promises.
All lies and jest; still a man hears what he wants to hear,
And disregards the rest.

When I left my home and my family, I was no more than a boy;
In the company of strangers,
In the quiet of the railway station, runnin' scared, laying low;
Seeking out the poorer quarters, where the ragged people go,
Looking for the places only they would know.

Li la li...


(The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel)



You’ve heard me describe, in preceding pages, that my children wave their hands in unison to Simon and Garfunkel. But, truth be told, they do it mostly to one song; specifically, The Boxer. Their tiny arms sway with the most beautiful motion and accord during the “li la li’s”.

And I get choked up, more often than I care to admit, when I look back and see all of them in their car seats, their fingertips in the air, moving silently to the rhythm as the orchestration reaches a crescendo. All of the lyrics are haunting and compelling and sad, but I tend to lose it at the climactic end, where there’s a whole gaggle of li la li’s. There they are, eight arms in the air, attached to little people with faces that smile in sweet unison. Music has calmed the beasts of childhood, with all of its infantile disagreements and squabbles over minutia and imaginary lines.

It is an incredible picture, a point of inspiration, where everything is in harmony (if only for a moment) and it overwhelms me as I fight back tears. I struggle to even describe it adequately.

But this very struggle gets me to wondering. This new kind of church begs for something similar -- a muse of some sort -- that would collectively inspire a sustained moment of mere simplicity where, despite sad lyrics, our arms could sway, childlike, in beautiful accord, cajoling this present Bride into unison beyond the customs of our own design.


Could it be that something or maybe even a Someone might be able to motivate and thrust this church above the realm of the ordinary? Could it possibly be that this Harley riding Jesus would rouse us from our slumber?

If so, well, then this could get dicey. And dangerous. To actually envision a church where even the gravest of skeptics associate the members of it with the Rider alone; where perceptions of pious pulpits and the people who fill them are removed, those good intentioned souls who step gingerly onto pedestals; yes, even those pedestals that slowly evolve, mysteriously, into wholly righteous platforms.

Over time, it seems that you and me, this enclave of a church that was, well, perhaps we’ve squandered our resistance for a pocketful of mumbles. And we’ve believed it of course, this notion that even though Jesus walked with the poor and marginalized of ancient days, for
contemporary believers such as us, he only came to punch our ticket for Heaven. Such are promises.

All lies and jest, it’s not so hard to see how a man could hear what he wants to hear and disregard the rest.

And so, now well into my 39th year, I just have to ask the question: Why would any church who claims to follow him not lead others to do what he did on a regular basis? If I’m not mistaken, he was known for laying low and for seeking out the poorer quarters, where the ragged people go.


Yes, it might just be that simple, because he could usually be found looking for the places only they would know.

We must learn, in fact we must train ourselves to accept with grace our mission to do just that. Maybe even simply that. The church building where we receive nourishment is not the destination. It is instead a launching pad where we are fed and fueled for the moments of unparalleled wonder that stumble headlong into days of adventure. Not inside, mind you, but right out there where Harley riding brothers and sisters find incarnation at the street level. If it helps you, than imagine it so.

Imagine not a long train on the Bride’s dress, laid nicely and quite perfectly on the scarlet runway by prim and proper bridesmaids who purse their lips and shush away latecomers as they close the door. Envision instead the billowing of a gown that swells and fills with the breeze off the back of that low ride, where the Bride has one arm strapped around the Groom's waist, and with the other, she throws the lacey veil and her bouquet to the wind, beckoning all to come to a celebration.


And right there on the edge of a very special something, a moment of incredible consequence, everything will start to come into focus. To be sure, the lyrics of life are sad and haunting at times but this is a place where the music of mission has calmed the beasts of infantile disagreements and squabbles over minutia. The orchestration of the saints will cross imaginary lines and reach a crescendo deep within the simplicity of swaying arms that strive in unison to serve a dying world.

That, my friends, is a new kind of church.

Li la li, La La La Li Li Li...

11 comments:

Gigi said...

I love the vision you cast and I wonder if I am not even now lucky enough to be a part of such a church....where we are encouraged to be 'self feeders' encouraged to follow HIM....thanks b

Anonymous said...

I lost it here: "Envision instead the billowing of a gown that swells and fills with the breeze off the back of that low ride, where the Bride has one arm strapped around the Groom's waist, and with the other, she throws the lacey veil and her bouquet to the wind, beckoning all to come to a celebration." But the imagery is especially specially important to me.

Thank you for this. So very much.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, it's dicey. It's like - so - dangerous.

And I'm in.

I wake up in the morning waiting for this call. I long for it, ache for it.

Bring it, Jesus. Bring it on.

Joash Chan said...

That's so right!! The church is not an end, but a means to an end. A launching pad... My heart truly desires to be a part of that new kind of church, my friend. I hear God's call in your words...

Ride on...

APN said...

"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man. Is he -- quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, Chapter 8: "What Happened after Dinner, C. S. Lewis

Miss-buggy said...

I don't really know how to respond. The word that keeps coming to my mind over and over is "WOW".
The beginning talking about your kids made me smile. Just picturing it. We can learn a lot form those special moments and special little ones.
Thanks for the powerful image.

steph said...

I continue to be...intrigued? No I don't this that is the word. I continue to be pursued by this One who, as of yet I cannot comfortable see as Groom, but definitely see that this Jesus is the One who calls to my heart, mind and soul, that I am wanting more of his company and, yes more of this place of freedom from "how" to act, simply acting in abandon because of that freedom. Yet again I feel compelled to whisper to Him the cry of my heart, and to continue on the journey.

Debra said...

Jeff--Oh my... I love The Boxer and still play it on my record player LOUDLY, so I got all teary-eyed just picturing your children in the backseat... Again... oh my...
And you have confirmed something for me... earlier today I'd been thinking about inspiration vs. coersion from leaders. I would write more here, but I'll save it for a post at my blog... perhaps tomorrow's entry. So thank-you for both the mention of inspiration and for, as always, being an inspiration to me, yourself. God bless... Debra

~pen~ said...

"What you dream alone remains a dream, what you dream with others can become reality."

~Edward Schillebeeckx

peace, bro.

Steve F. said...

Seeking out the poorer quarters, where the ragged people go,
Looking for the places only they would know.


It's 2 AM, and I'm just hearing some of the ghastly reports coming out of the failure-to-respond on the Gulf Coast. And then I come to your site and hear of the God of all creation seeking out poorer quarters and ragged people.

I hope your Jesus is showing up, Harley and all, on the roads out of the devastation. I pray that He's being seen by people riding school buses for hours and hours. I pray that He's bringing comfort to those who are dying, and losing hope.

I'll likely never hear The Boxer the same way again - for which I'll give thanks to God for you, and your vision.

Bar L. said...

"We must learn, in fact we must train ourselves to accept with grace our mission to do just that. Maybe even simply that. The church building where we receive nourishment is not the destination."

Profound truth.